Saturday, October 18, 2008

More on DQ....

So as a result of taking too many classes (like Jessica) and being sick for the last 2 weeks, I am just now writing a new blog post. I am still reading Don Quixote, and have made it to page 226 (I wish I was farther). There was a section that I read awhile ago that immediately stood out to me, so I have decided to share my discovery of its contents with anyone who has yet to read it.

On page 193 DQ begins to tell Sancho all about the purpose of imitation and how every great artist wins fame by imitating the most talented in their genre. In other words, he is hence supporting Plato's notion that "poets" (which is used as a metonomy here) are imitators and therefore never original. DQ, however, is using this as a way to support his reason for imitating great knights errant and their chivalry.

"I say, too, that when a painter wishes to win fame in his art, he attempts to copy the orginal works of the most talented painters he knows; this same rule applies to all the important occupations and professions that serve to embellish nations, and it must be, and is, followed when the man who wishes to be known as prudent and long-suffering imitates Ulysses, in whose person and harships Homer painted a living portrait of prudence and forebearance..........In the same manner, Amadis was the polestar, the morning star, the sun to valiant, enamored knights, the one who should be imitated by all of us who serve under the banner of love and chivarly. This being true, and it is, then I deduce, friend Sancho, that the knight errant who most closely imitates Amadis will be closest to attaining chivalric perfection."

I love to see this discussion on imitation because of the huge role that it has played in our class. What is also interesting to note in the next page (194) is how Sancho reactes to DQ's assertions. He ends up responding somewhat how I believe Plato would have.

"By God, Senor Knight of the Sorrowful Face, but I lose my patience and can't bear some of the things your grace says; because of them I even imagine that everything you tell me about chivalry, and winning kingdoms and empires, and giving me insulas and granting me other favors and honors, as is the custom of knights errant, must be nothing but empty talk and lies, and all hamburg or a humbug or whatever you call it"

I now can say most definitely that I understand why Dr. Sexson chose this book to accompany our class, and I know that, in reading it, I am further expanding my understanding of the concepts discussed in class.

No comments: