Thursday, November 6, 2008

~The Sublime~



This whole idea of the "sublime" is a fascinating one. Sublime comes from the Latin word sublimis, which means "to look up from." In other words, this is experienced when we encounter something that elevates our thoughts, emotions, etc. above the natural, or above our consciousness, taking us into what (if I understand right) Frye would call the world of anagogy.

I have a very special place in my heart for music and, throughout my life, I have had trouble expressing what music does to me- what it makes me feel and experience. It has previously been something that no words could define and to which nothing could be compared or given justice to. Now, however, certain possibilities are coming together in my mind. When I listen to music, I become wrapped up in emotions and into the powerful sensation that I am flying, dancing, swirling with a force that takes my heart and lifts it up and outside of myself. Now to explain that to the average person may prove to be quite difficult...through the discussions in our class and the insight of Chris, I have come to realize that what happens to me when I encounter music can be summed up in the word "sublime."

This realization is exciting to me because it wraps up all of my emotions, thoughts, and expressions relating to music, putting them into a word which allows everyone (or at least those who understand the sublime) to know that music stirs my heart to look up from my daily circumstances, reality, problems, and fears, separating myself from them and allowing me to have, what I would call, a divine/religious experience. Some of the music that has the greatest affect on me in this way is from artists such as Celtic Woman. In order to enter into the sublime with me, I will post a link for one of their videos. Sit back, close your eyes, and enjoy.........


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfO6JpR5Ip8

No comments: