Sunday, September 21, 2008

DQ ....somethin different!

I know this is kinda different.....but I have decided to refer to Don Quixote as "DQ" from now on because, even though it is taking forever to get through all 940 pages, I do consider it quite a delicious treat to have the opportunity to read literature of this quality (not to mention being able to read at all) and with such complex characters!

I am currently on page 144 and wishing that I had more time to read......
At this point in the story, Sancho is finally wising up to the fact the DQ is in a fantasy world and, as a result, the only way to compel him one way or the other is to feed into that world. He does a good job of it too.......DQ wants to ride off and leave Sancho (against Sancho's pleas that he do neither) so Sancho ties Rocinante's forelegs together in order to keep the horse from moving. The cleverist part of the scheme, however, is when Sancho tells DQ that heaven must be keeping the horse from moving and in order to keep from risking the wrath of fortune, he should stay.

I find it interesting how well this book ties into the modes that we have been discussing in class of late. Especially when considering that DQ is living in the reality of the low mimetic/ironic mode, yet all-the-while longing to be in the romantic mode of knights errant, great ladies, fierce battles with giants and ogers, and heros. This can be seen in quotes such as the one on page 142, first paragraph,

"Sancho, my friend, know that I was born, by the will of heaven, in this our iron age, to revive the one of gold, or the Golden Age, as it is called. I am he for whom are resreved dangers, great deeds, valient feats. I am, I repeat, he who is to revive the Knights of the Round Table, Twelve Peers of France, the Nine Worthies, he who is to make the world forget the Platirs, Tablants, Olivants, and Tirants, the Phoebusese an Belianises, and the entire horde of famous knights errant of a bygone age, by performing in this time in which I find myself such great and extraodinary deed and feats of arms that they will overshadow the brightest they ever achieved."

If it wasn't for Frye, I feel that I would view this story very differently and not understand as well the significance of the things taking place.

No comments: