Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Box---Low Mimetic tragedy

-------LOW MIMETIC TRAGEDY-------

Low Mimetic tragedy is based in a very firm dose of reality. This is the reason why it appeals to our pathos (emotions) because we can identify with what the protagonist or central figure is dealing with. This figure is often taken out of the societal picture and looked at on an individual level. An obvious difference that separates this mode from others is that it doesn't take pitiful, weak, fearful, etc. individuals and find pleasure in their suffering, nor does it take out the suffering altogether; rather, it causes us to view the circumstances in a way that elicits an emotional sensation that brings tears, or at least sympathy.
It reminds me of the movie "No Reservations" in that, amidst the hectic restaurant setting, we get an individualized look at a woman who lives her life fearful of change, who is almost pathetic in her lack of social life, and who loses her sister in a tragic car wreck. Rather than look at her life an laugh at her suffering, I can't help but identify with it and, as a result, I find myself crying while I watch it every time. There is no doubt that it appeals to my emotional side....it elicits a sympathy and response of tears from me because what this woman suffers is so real and could happen to anyone. Plus, it reaches into a similar tragedy that I have experienced. That is the power of this mode, it separates the suffering of an individual and, in a way, makes the audience feel the emotions that accompany the suffering.

No comments: